XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the turn-based action-strategy game developed by Firaxis Games, the same company behind the massively successful Civilization games. The game re-imagines the classic UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense and brings its tense, tactical game play to a new generation. XCOM: Enemy Unknown took home 20 awards at E3 2012 including the Game Critics Award for Best Strategy Game and Best PC Game as well as GameSpy and IGN’s Best Strategy Game Award.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown was released on October 9th, 2012 in North America and on October 12th internationally. Pre-orders of the game received free codes for the Elite Soldier Pack DLC. A Special Edition of the game was available exclusively to the PC and contained an art book, fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters, XCOM insignia patch, soundtrack, special art, and more.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown has received high praise from numerous critics and reviewers. On Dec 8th 2012, the game won Best PC Game at Spike's Video Game Awards. It was named 2012 Game of the Year by gaming websites GameTrailers.com, Kotaku, GameSpy and Giant Bomb. The game was named 2012 Best Strategy game by Game Informer magazine. The game received the Best Strategy Game award at the 2013 BAFTA Games Awards.
An iOS version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown was announced 24th March 2013 during a presentation by 2K Games at PAX East 2013.  The game port is being overseen by Firaxis but handled by 2K China and will be playable on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Jake Solomon revealed to IGN that the iOS version will not have paid power ups. The iOS version was released on 19 June 2013 at a price of $19.99.
Threatened by an unknown enemy, the Earth’s governments unite to form an elite paramilitary organization, known as XCOM, to combat this extraterrestrial attack. As the commander of XCOM, you control the global defense team in a battle against a terrifying alien invasion by creating a fully operational base, researching alien technologies, planning combat missions, and controlling soldier movement in battle.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown blends strategic base management with turn-based combat in unique and addictive game play.
Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible over-the-shoulder action sequences and on-the-ground combat.
Strategic Base: Recruit, customize and train unique soldiers, research new and exotic technologies, and manage your personnel as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.
Tactical Combat: Direct soldier squads in tense turn-based ground battles. Explore maps shrouded by the "fog of war" to discover and engage enemy forces.
Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as you use the Skyranger to deploy squads to engage the enemy on over 70 unique maps, detect and intercept the alien UFOs in the skies, and interact and negotiate with governments around the world.
XCOM's soldiers are humanity's first and last line of defense against the alien invaders and serve as the primary and most valuable combat units in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Soldiers are initially fielded in squads of four but this number can be expanded up to a maximum of six as the game progresses. Soldiers' deaths are permanent, but those who survive long enough to graduate from the Rookie rank will gain one of the following specialized classes:
These veterans can bring a staggering variety of deadly abilities to the battlefield as they rank up. Soldiers can be further customized through the option to change their physical appearances and names and outfitting them with the latest weapons and equipment developed by your research team.
By researching new tech, players will gain access to upgrades such as body armor and weapons, as well as gaining access to new facilities. By interrogating captured live aliens, players gain Research credits which can greatly speed up the research process.
Players will fight a multitude of alien species including:
- Thin Man
- Impossible Difficulty Strategy Guide
- Impossible Difficulty Combat Guide
- Random vs Seeded Outcomes Guide
- Squad Tactics
Pre-Order Bonus and Special EditionEditPlayers who pre-ordered the game received access to the Elite Soldier Pack, which adds a variety of cosmetic options to customize their squad's look including a number of color and aesthetic armor upgrades and a new flattop hairstyle inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. Players who pre-ordered on Steam also received a copy of Civilization V.
- On October 23rd 2012, the Elite Soldier Pack became available as paid DLC on PC, PSN, and Xbox Live for $4.99/400 Microsoft Points.
- On December 4th 2012, the Slingshot Content Pack became available on PC, PSN, and Xbox Live for $6.99/560 Microsoft Points. The Slingshot Content Pack introduces a new set of linked Council Missions set in China adding three new maps tied to the missions, a new playable character with his own unique appearance and voice, and several new cosmetic Soldier customization options.
- The expansion pack XCOM: Enemy Within was released on November 12th, 2013. This expansion introduces new resources, soldier upgrades, equipment, and even a new soldier class to combat new enemy threats; it also adds new maps, new tactical and strategic gameplay, and new multiplayer content. XCOM: Enemy Within is available as a download for PC and MAC for $29.99 and as a separate disc bundled with the Elite Soldier and Slingshot DLCs for consoles for $39.99.
VideosEditXCOM Enemy Unknown "Last Stand" E3 2012 Trailer(01:48)
- ↑ http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/article/e3-2012-awards
- ↑ http://www.2kgames.com/blog/xcom-enemy-unknown-release-date-special-edition-and-more
- ↑ http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/best-pc-game
- ↑ http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/pth9i9/gametrailers-game-of-the-year-awards-game-of-the-year, http://kotaku.com/5973782/xcom-enemy-unknown-is-kotakus-2012-game-of-the-year, http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227028p11.html, http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bombs-2012-game-of-the-year-awards-day-five/1100-4476/
- ↑ http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/12/10/top-50-games-of-2012-review-roundup.aspx
- ↑ http://awards.bafta.org/award/2013/games/strategy
- ↑ http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/360/
- ↑ http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/368/
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a468077/xcom-enemy-unknown-announced-for-ios.html http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/23/4137006/xcom-enemy-unknown-ipad-firaxis
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/xcom-on-iphone-and-ipad-will-have-no-paid-power-ups
- ↑ http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/information