The Lost are a new type of enemy introduced in the War of the Chosen DLC.
The Lost are the victims of the bio-weapons used over the course of the original invasion during Alien Abductions. While the bio-weapons paved the way for ADVENT to clean up and re-create the new city centers, colonization after the invasion is still in progress over the course of XCOM 2. ADVENT deploys Purifiers in these abandoned cities to clear out The Lost in an effort to salvage resources and reclaim land.
The Lost come in swarms, and they will continue to spawn constantly on missions they appear on. Explosions will cause new swarms to appear faster, as The Lost are sensitive to sound. The Lost also take extra damage from fire-based weaponry.
The Lost are not affiliated to anything besides themselves; they will attack Aliens and ADVENT on missions they appear on if it is more convenient for them to do so.
Attacking any Lost unit with a Standard Shot triggers a mechanic called Headshot; killing a Lost with a standard shot does not cost an action. This means that a single soldier can kill multiple Lost in a single turn only limited by ammunition.
- The Lost count as humanoid targets, meaning they are vulnerable to Justice, Void Conduit, pulling from Frostbite, and being resurrected as a Psi Zombie.
- The Lost have a vulnerability to fire-type weapons and take additional damage from Burning. Exploit this by using Flamethrowers/Hellfire Projectors on missions involving The Lost, especially The Horde missions.
- If the Headshot mechanic applies, the action will be labeled "Headshot" in the HUD. Certain sidearms (like the Templars' autopistol or Sharpshooter's pistol) can use Headshot and have unlimited ammo; this can be very effective for clearing out low-strength Lost or finishing off wounded ones.
- Despite being biological and having intelligence, all of The Lost are immune to any attack that requires it to pass a Will test, such as the Psi Operative's Insanity or the SPARK's Intimidate.
- Use an Ultrasonic Lure in order to force The Lost to target anything within the blast radius. It is ideal to keep The Lost attacking the aliens and not XCOM soldiers.
- Explosions attract The Lost, but this does not count things that do not explode, i.e. Flamethrowers, Shredder Guns, Plasma Blasters, etc. Players should bring those heavy weapon types on missions as opposed to explosive alternatives. Purifiers that explode upon death do not seem to attract Lost.
- Blademaster Rangers are especially useful against the Lost once they have the "Bladestorm" ability. Lost that try to attack Rangers with Bladestorm will be very likely killed, provided the attacks don't miss or they aren't a Lost Brute, which rarely dies in one hit.
The Lost Unit Types Edit
- Lost: The standard Lost unit. Makes up the bulk of Lost swarms. They have little health and deal little damage.
- Lost Dasher: Lost that will rush and surround units they spot. They have extra mobility and health, but are otherwise identical to the standard Lost.
- Lost Brute: Lost that have a much larger health pool than the standard Lost.