|“||Allows firing at targets in an ally's sight radius.||”|
|– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown|
This ability in effect, gives a Sniper unlimited range, as Sniper Rifles and all their upgraded variants have no range limit.
While not explicitly stated in Squadsight's description, the Sniper needs unobstructed line-of-sight (LoS) in order to shoot the target. This means players using Squadsight Snipers often have to go hunting for Sniper 'nests' with unobstructed view of most of the battlefield in order to make the most of this ability. Sniper nests often come in the form of elevated trees on outdoor maps, rooftops, or in some cases, the Sniper does not even need to move from the Skyranger.
- Late in the game, Archangel Armor can be used for this purpose, making the Sniper like the guardian angel of your troops on the battlefield, especially if you Overwatch with the Opportunist ability. The ability Damn Good Ground works with Archangel Armor, as long as the Sniper flies high into the air, and not just remain hovering over the ground.
- As it can be difficult to find a good Sniper nest on some maps, Gunslinger can be a good ability to pick up instead of Damn Good Ground should the player foresee his Squadsight Sniper forced into close quarters combat.
- As Squadsight Snipers are generally alone and out of harm's way on a battlefield, they have little use for most items besides S.C.O.P.E.
Enemies that can be seen only via Squadsight have a yellow cross hair on their red skull on the game interface. Such enemies generally will not attack the Squadsight Sniper, as they do not have vision of him.
- On higher difficulties, a scout, often a Lightning Reflexes Assault is sent ahead of the team using one move to look for enemies. If any are found, the Squadsight Sniper can shoot them, after which the scout can return to his starting position using his remaining move. This makes for a very safe method of play.
- When forced to hold ground, soldiers at the front can simply Hunker Down, increasing their survivability while the Squadsight Sniper picks off enemies.
- Due to the unique ability of a Squadsight Sniper to kill enemies from any distance, and the difficulty of training new Snipers (as they start out close to useless), many players consider Squadsight Snipers the most valuable soldiers on the team on higher difficulties. As such, even if one has to retreat and lose every other teammate, they will still choose to save the Squadsight Sniper.
In this expansion, Squadsight shots can no longer deal critical hits unless the Headshot ability is used.
Mimetic Skin can now be given to soldiers a player intends to be scouts for the Squadsight Sniper. Scouting for targets has never been safer.