The Skyranger is a Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) troop transport aircraft utilized by XCOM in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. This vehicle transports the player's squad from XCOM headquarters to any location around the globe and vice versa. Given the relatively short travel times to these distant places around the world, the Skyranger is likely capable of hypersonic flight.
As only one Skyranger is ever seen and none can otherwise be obtained, it is reasonable to assume that the same craft is used in all missions. This Skyranger has the designation Voodoo Three-One and is flown by a male pilot answering to the call sign Big Sky.
Procurement and MaintenanceEdit
You start the game with one Skyranger and you cannot purchase any more.
Procurement Cost: N/A
Maintenance Cost: §20* every month
(*)The Air and Space bonus halves the cost.
- The Skyranger has a tail number of SR-77H, a reference to this piece of fanwork.
- It has an inordinate number of engines located in strange places for an aircraft of its size with only some of them appearing to have thrust-vectoring capabilities, meaning that if this were a real aircraft most of the engines would be dead weight during either Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) or conventional flight.
- In the cutscene prior to the Base Defense mission, Mind Controlled hangar crew can be seen detonating explosive charges which damage the Skyranger; despite this the Skyranger is still immediately available following the conclusion of the mission, suggesting that XCOM has a back-up Skyranger in case of emergencies.
- As seen in an unused image in the game, the Skyranger's pilot, Big Sky, wears a Lieutenant rank patch.
- S.H.I.V.s are never seen in the Skyranger interior loading screen and are never present in the touchdown cinematics.