Sectopods first appear in August (mid-October on Legend). They always appear as pod leaders followed by ADVENT Troopers, Stun Lancers or Shieldbearers.
The Sectopod is a large bipedal robotic combat unit used by ADVENT. It is a towering weapons platform capable of destroying terrain as it walks, with a size of 9 tiles. The Sectopod provides overwhelming firepower where it is needed most.
- High Stance: The Sectopod can extend its legs to improve its range and weapon reach, also enabling it to use the Wrath cannon against elevated targets. Grants height bonus against ground targets. (Costs no AP)
- Low Stance swaps in when it is in a High Stance state.
- Lightnings Field: The Sectopod can emit a blast of lightning in a circular area around itself whenever it detects an enemy in melee range. (7-9 DMG) (2-turn cooldown)
- Wrath Cannon: The Wrath Cannon is an extremely high-energy attack that deals damage in a long line. The firing of the cannon requires the Sectopod to fully charge a series of emitters, which might give quick victims a chance to run and hide. (3 tiles wide beam). Takes one turn to prepare. (9-12 DMG)(3 turn Cool Down)(Costs 1 Action Point)
- Upon death the Sectopod explodes, causing damage to nearby units and environment.
- Firing its Blaster only costs the Sectopod one action point which means it may fire up to two times per turn (three if it has not moved).
- Like the Andromedon and Gatekeeper, Sectopods walk directly through structural terrain, destroying it in the process.
- The Sectopod can fire twice and then prepare the Wrath Canon all in one turn.
- It is possible for a Sectopod in Low Stance to become visible when it switches to High Stance, if there were a building, such as a guard tower, blocking sight before the switch.
- Soldiers with Untouchable can be valuable in fights with Sectopods.
- Despite aesthetically being an ADVENT unit, it has an alien icon in the UI - which, ironically, is a Sectoid head emblem.
- If the Sectopod is Shut Down while it is charging its Wrath Cannon, the animation will bug out and keep going until the Sectopod is destroyed.
- Lightening field does not affect targets that float, such as the Gatekeeper in Multiplayer.
- Sectopods are extremely vulnerable to Armor Piercing and Blue Screen Round ammunition types.