|“||Devastate an area with a storm of psi energy. The rift does more damage against targets with low Will, and reduced damage against targets with high Will. 4 turn cooldown.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Rift is a very powerful area of effect attack that produces damage inversely proportional to the amount of Will a target has. The Rift storm remains in play through the enemy's turn, and like a Thin Man's Poison Spit, will damage units that pass through the area of effect while it is still active. It does not destroy cover.
- The Volunteer gains this ability after activating the Gollop Chamber, prior to the Temple Ship Assault.
- When used, XCOM units will take damage without a friendly fire warning if moved into the area.
- Rift is effective on congregations of enemies, both weak and strong.
- Both Psi Lance and Rift can affect robotic units; Rift produces substantial damage as these units are effectively treated as having 0 Will.
- Rift can hit enemies that are in flight.
- Unlike other abilities with area of effect, the area of effect caused by Rift is not a sphere but a circle that will affect only units at the same elevation as the Rift's center.
- The Sid Meier cheat code unit also posessess rift (EW and EU)