|“||Experimental ballistics have led to this specialized conventional weapon load. It can cause substantial extra damage to affected targets, but the additional casing elements make it less accurate at long range. The rounds will not work with pistols, though.||”|
–Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Within
Production Time: Immediate
- 6 Engineers
- Affects conventional weapons only
- Adds 20% to critical chance against organic targets
- Doubles the weapon's range penalty
Reaper Rounds double a weapon's Aim penalty incurred due to range. For example in case of shotgun, if an enemy standing 13 tiles away normally results in a -16 Aim penalty, with Reaper Rounds it is increased to -32 Aim.
|Pistols||Do not incur range penalties and cannot use Reaper Rounds. No effect on Pistol Aim.|
| LMGs / Rifles ||Do not incur range penalties. No effect on LMG or Assault Rifle Aim.|
|Shotguns||Incur an Aim penalty beyond 10 tiles (-4 Aim at 11 tiles, -28 Aim at 15 tiles, -44 Aim at 18 tiles, etc.) Reaper Rounds double a Shotgun's Aim penalty.|
|Sniper Rifles||Incur an Aim penalty at less than 10 tiles (-24 Aim at 1 tile, -19 Aim at 4 tiles, -10 Aim at 6 tiles, etc.) Reaper Rounds double a Sniper Rifle's Aim penalty.|
For further information, see Weapon Range Bonuses and Penalties.
- Reaper Rounds are an effective way to increase the potency of conventional weapons before beam weapons are researched and manufactured. The technological and research options added in XCOM: Enemy Within can delay a player's progression up the weapon research tree significantly, especially on Classic or Impossible difficulty.
- Reaper Rounds shine when given to shotgun Assaults and Snipers, given that their weaponry specialization largely negates the range penalty, and increases critical rates that such troops are often reliant on to clear an enemy. Heavies benefit less from Reaper Rounds, since their lower base Aim reduces the number of hits (and thus critical hits), though if a player adopts a strategy of Heavies closing with enemies more this deficiency can be compensated for.