Standing over 2 meters, this humanoid creature is physically powerful and aggressive, but mentally weak. They appear to be the least intelligent and very vulnerable to psi-attacks. However, studies showed that their memory are imprinted with high amount of knowledge in combat tactics and weaponry. Furthermore, based on autopsies, it is clearly evident that the Muton is genetically designed and modified for combat. As such, one must take great care not to underestimate the capabilities of the Mutons.
Due to these attributes, the Mutons are highly suited as the invaders' front-line combatant and can withstand high amounts of damage and have increased tolerance to pain due to their genetically enhanced physiology.
|Suppression||Can fire a special shot that grants reaction fire at a single target. The target also suffers a -30 Aim penalty.|
|Blood Call||Unleash a bestial roar that inspires nearby allies of the same species to greater speed, focus, and resolve for 2 turns. 4 turn cooldown.|
|Intimidate||Reacts unpredictably when wounded, provoking panic in enemies.|
- Plasma Rifles (both): Powerful, precise and costly to produce, Plasma Rifles are among the best weapons in the game. Mutons should be captured alive whenever a chance to safely do so presents itself.
- Muton Autopsy - Opens up the Foundry project, Ammo Conservation.
- Interrogate Muton - Research credit toward plasma technology.
Mutons will try to strike fear into enemies by seeming to dismiss near-fatal blows. They also have the "Blood Call" ability that motivates surrounding Mutons. Never try to fight one hand-to-hand.
- Mutons will frequently use their Alien Grenades against grouped Soldiers or to clear a Soldier's cover on higher difficulties.
- Safely break a Muton's Suppression fire by wounding it or moving an Assault with Lightning Reflexes through its line of sight.
- Highly vulnerable to psi attacks, easily mind controlled.
Having more Mutons of any species is always a good thing because of Blood Call. Blood Call can make Berserkers even more dangerous due to the increased movement. The Elite muton can throw a grenade farther than its brother; important if you expect an ambush or see an enemy from afar. Each Muton has the Easy difficulty stats.
Good against : low health units , low tier humans (costless customisation)