|“||Alien communications rely on a supra-dimensional wave which travels almost instantaneously. This relay should allow us to trace the source of these communications.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Facility Maintenance: §30 per month
- When the Hyperwave Relay is built XCOM can ascertain the size, class, crew, and mission objective of alien spacecraft upon detection, a useful tool when planning squad configurations. (It can only display up to seven alien species, so in the rare event that there are more than seven different species onboard, only the first seven types of aliens will be reported).
- While the Hyperwave Relay provides supplementary information in the event of a UFO detection, it is not a replacement for detection facilities (Satellite Uplinks / Nexus) as in the original game.
- This facility cannot be demolished, so take care in choosing its location in the base.
- Activating the Hyperwave Relay leads to the appearance of the Overseer UFO, possibly several times per month, to shoot down satellites. In order to catch and shoot down the Overseer, XCOM needs Firestorm interceptors armed with Plasma Cannons or better; the UFO Tracking (Boost) also helps, but isn't necessary. It may be advisable to postpone building the Hyperwave Relay until properly prepared, as the facility costs both Power and §30 maintenance per month.
- The equivalent facility in the original UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994) is called a "Hyper-wave Decoder".