This late-game massive unit is deployed on normal missions as a pod leader beginning as early as August (mid-November on Legend).
The Gatekeeper's smooth spherical shell creates the illusion of a mechanical unit. However, inside the shell resides a mass of flesh that reflects the utmost extremes of biomechanical integration.
- The Gatekeeper, as an organic enemy, is vulnerable to the full effects of Flashbangs and Gas grenades. Additionally, certain mechanical effects will affect it as well: EMP Grenades, Bluescreen Rounds, although it takes no bonus damage from Combat Protocol.
- Psionic abilities, including Domination, are all effective provided the Psi Operative can overcome its high Will. With an Alien Psi Amp, it is reasonably possible to take permanent control of one for easy terrain demolition and frontline reinforcements. Its high defense makes it a poor decoy on its own.
- After using its psionic abilities, the Gatekeeper will remain in its open form until it is damaged once (this includes damage from a stock). In this form they have less armor and less defense. It is advisable to use a hardhitting attack first.
- It will explode upon death, blasting a 3-tile range for up to 7 damage.
- It favors targeting Gateway where it can raise the most zombies, regardless of whether itself or allies are in the blast radius. This can also include groups of civilians if there are no nearby corpses. Re-positioning the squad away from humanoid corpses and leading enemies over them can be a useful strategy.
- Armor shredding effects like Acid Bomb may be undone if applied while the shell is open.
- The Gatekeeper occupies a 2x2 tile area and will break down walls and cover in its path, including mission objective targets.
- When using the Gateway ability or Consume ability from a Dominated Gatekeeper, any units raised in this fashion are friendly. If the trooper Dominating the Gatekeeper is evacced; killed; or disrupted in such a way as to lose Domination over the Gatekeeper, any raised zombies will die and they will be counted against you in the Soldiers Killed bar at the end of the mission.
|Dying Explosion||When the Gatekeeper dies, it triggers a damaging explosion.|
Fire a beam of focused energy at a target.
Drain the life of a humanoid target at melee range, raising it as a Psi Zombie if it is killed.
Open a devastating psionic rift in an area. Any humanoid enemies killed can be raised as psionic zombies.
The Gatekeeper retracts its defensive shell when damaged.
|Open Shell||Open the Gatekeeper's shell, reducing armor but granting access to additional abilities.|
|Close Shell||Close the Gatekeeper's shell, increasing armor but preventing the use of some abilities.|