Future Combat is one of five continent bonuses available in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It is unlocked by either placing XCOM headquarters in Asia at the beginning of a new game, or by placing satellites in orbit over all four Asian countries during the game.
|“||All projects in the Foundry and the Officer Training School cost 50% less.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- As a starting continent bonus, Future Combat is useful at easier difficulty settings where the Officer Training School facility is pre-built at the headquarters, allowing XCOM to benefit from extra XP for kills and an increased squad size as soon as they are available. It also allows a quick rush of Ammo Conservation, Tactical Rigging EW and S.C.O.P.E. Upgrade Foundry projects.
- On higher difficulties (Classic and Impossible), the OTS facility is not pre-built, and constructing the Foundry may be delayed to focus resources on building satellites, uplinks, power generators, and other facilities. Therefore, Asia may be an ill-advised choice for XCOM headquarters on those difficulty settings.
- The location of the XCOM base in Asia appears to correspond to Luzon in the northern Philippines.
- The bonus apparently alludes to the number of countries in Asia that have a large standing military and said militaries being some of the greatest in the world. As well as those countries having the most advanced militaries on the planet.