|“||Nearby allies in cover receive +10 Defense.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Within
- Distortion Field generates a visible "circle" around the MEC that signifies the range of the Field (around 4 tiles), and allies benefiting from the effect will also have a visual effect on them.
- Distortion Field does not require a line of sight and can go through any obstacle, including walls; this means that allies that are not in the same room as the MEC can also benefit from the field as long as they are within range.
- It seems that Distortion Field has a cylindrical shape rather than a spherical shape. Allies that are not on the same horizontal level (i.e. the same floor) can also benefit from its effect.
- The bonus cannot stack. Having a soldier take cover within the radius of multiple distortion fields will still only yield a +10 bonus to Defense.
- Unlike Smoke Grenade, Distortion Field does not affect any aliens within its radius.
- During the Skyranger landing sequence before missions, the Distortion Field "circle" can be seen extending out of the Skyranger if a Support Class MEC Trooper is part of the strike team.