|“||Allows the Sniper to fire a shot that causes the target's main weapon to malfunction. The target may use Reload to fix the weapon. The shot cannot inflict a critical hit. 2 turn cooldown.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Although not stated in the in-game description, the shot has a -10 Aim penalty.
Useful for neutralizing enemies with high damage potential weaponry, like the Cyberdisc, if the rest of the squad is caught out of position/cover or if an additional turn is needed to get them into position to eliminate the threat. Helpful when trying to capture aliens alive as well, if you need two turns to get close enough to stun them. Its other notable use is to non-lethally disable a Mind Controlled squad member if you cannot take out the controller in the same turn.
- Enemies disabled by Disabling Shot may still use special abilities or grenades, which can be more dangerous than their main weapon.
- Disabling Shot has no effect on Sectopods (other than the base ability damage).
- Be very careful when using Disabling Shot on an enemy on Overwatch! A bug may grant the enemy infinite reaction shots instead of preventing them from taking one, especially when Disabling Shot is used on a Sectopod.
- Only usable with sniper rifles.