|“||Confers +30% critical chance against adjacent targets. The bonus declines with distance from the target.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
The expansion changes this ability to:
|“||The first standard shot made within 4 tiles of the target does not cost an action. Cannot combine with Run And Gun.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Within
- Best used with the highest available tech level of shotgun, since the ability is only active at 4 squares or closer (a range at which shotguns vastly outstrip assault rifles in overall lethality).
- When combined with Aggression and Bring 'Em On, this ability can allow an Assault armed with a shotgun to reliably deliver hard hitting critical hits at close range.
- In XCOM: Enemy Within, combining this ability can:
- Allow an Assault to perform a normal move up to an enemy, shoot it and then Dash back to cover.
- Can be combined with Rapid Fire to perform a normal move, and still allow an Assault three shots in one turn. The player must remember to perform a normal shot before performing Rapid Fire, or the effect of Close and Personal will be un-used for that turn. If further combined with Close Combat Specialist, it can mean up to four shots total when dealing with melee enemies (particularly Berserkers). When also selecting Aggression and Bring Em On, an Assault can potentially devastate an enemy with a cascade of critical hits.
- Subsequent attacks do not necessarily have to be at the same target. Thus, the Assault can perform a normal move, potentially kill one enemy with the free Close and Personal shot, and then proceed to shoot (or Rapid Fire) a second enemy.