|WARNING: This article or section may contain spoilers!|
- The Dark Event "Minor Avatar Project breakthrough" increases progress by 1.
- The Dark Event "Major Avatar Project breakthrough" increases progress by 2.
- After several weeks an Avatar Project Facility will increase progress by 1.
- When an Avatar Project Facility appears it will increase progress by 1.
- Every several weeks progress will increase by 1.
If all 12 points are acquired, the project enters its final stages. The player has a fixed duration (20 days on Veteran, 15 days on Commander) to reduce the Avatar project progress by any means, or else the aliens complete the project and XCOM is destroyed (presumably by the Avatars attacking the Avenger). This is the bad ending.
- Successfully finishing a generic Avatar Project Facility mission reduces the Avatar Project Progress by a value equal to the progress that facility has contributed. The value is visible as the number of red squares below the facility on the Geoscape. There does not appear to be an upper limit.
- Most story mission objectives reduce progress by 1-3. This makes the Shadow Chamber extremely valuable to keep the progress meter from filling.
- The Avatar Project cannot be permanently stopped by any means. It can only be delayed via the above actions.
- If the blacksite mission is not completed, the avatar project will under some circumstances produce a bug each time a facility appears, where the progress meter will seemingly decrease by 1, but then increase by 1. Where the notifier appears a blank text box will appear over the progress notifier text box.