|“||A crash program and a couple of lucky experiments led to the Avalanche Missiles, an air-to-air weapon of an unprecedented precision. It represents the pinnacle of terrestrial guided-missile technology.||”|
– Loadout description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Avalanche Missiles come as the default armament on all Interceptors and do not require manufacture in Engineering.
- Conventional air-to-air missiles upgraded with Earth's best targeting software
- Warhead's effectiveness against alien armor material is unknown
- Despite being said as "of unprecedented precision," the missiles' accuracy is a fairly unreliable 70%.
- IRL (not saying that the game takes place on it), long range missiles have an accurancy rate of 18% against a low tecnology enemy and 13% chance against enemy aircraft with any kind of defense, be it radar, ECM (Eletronic Counter Measure), enough maneuverability to deflect missiles etc. Being that said, 70% hit chance it is actually "unprecedented".
- It is unknown what guidance system the Avalanche missiles use to home in on their target. The UFOs do appear to lack clear radar-reflecting angles, and it is unknown if they produce sufficient heat for an infrared targeting system. XCOM satellites, as it has been stated, utilize gravitic detection - a novel technology.