- This article is about the weapon. For the Foundry project, see Alien Grenades.
Alien grenades are similar to ordinary grenades, but deal an increased amount of damage.
Alien Grenades can be recovered from Mutons, Sectoid Commanders, Muton Elites, and Heavy Floaters by stunning them with the Arc Thrower. Capturing these aliens alive usually conveys an Alien Grenade in addition to the weapon the alien was carrying.
As Alien Grenades do not have a research project associated with them, they can be used immediately after being acquired unlike alien Plasma Weapons. While the supply of Alien Grenades is initially limited to only those recovered, using an Alien Grenade on a mission does not "spend" it. For example, if you have recovered 2 Alien Grenades then equipped one and used it in the field, when you returned to base you would still have 2 Alien Grenades. The amount of Alien Grenades available in the arsenal should not actually be considered as the actual stock number of grenades, but how many soldiers can equip with those grenades simultaneously.
|“||▪ Uses per mission: 1|
▪ The Alien Grenade has the same blast radius as the Frag Grenade: roughly 2 tiles
▪ Does 5 damage to all targets in blast area
▪ Friendly targets in blast area are affected
|– Tactical Info, XCOM: Enemy Unknown|
- As a noticeable improvement over the Frag Grenade, the Alien Grenade can be very useful in the mid game if recovered early.
- A grenade's tactical value extends beyond just wounding or killing enemies in being able to immediately destroy cover or walls; such environment destruction can make shots easier for other soldiers, open up new paths of movement or make other new tactical options available.
- In XCOM: Enemy Within, Heavies with the Grenadier ability can inflict 6 points of damage with an Alien Grenade.
- The Mayhem ability does not increase the damage of Alien Grenade.
- There is a glitch in the game: when you throw the Alien Grenade, the first beep the grenade makes sounds like a conventional grenade. All the other beeps after that sound like the Alien Grenade's.
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown Weapons|
|Grenades||Alien Grenade • Flashbang Grenade • Frag Grenade • Gas Grenade • Ghost Grenade • Needle Grenade|
|Heavy||LMG • Heavy Laser • Heavy Plasma|
|Launcher||Rocket Launcher • Blaster Launcher|
|MEC||Minigun • Railgun • Particle Cannon|
|Pistols||Pistol • Laser Pistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Rifles||Assault Rifle • Laser Rifle • Light Plasma Rifle • Plasma Rifle|
|Shotguns||Shotgun • Scatter Laser • Alloy Cannon|
|Sniper||Sniper Rifle • Laser Sniper Rifle • Plasma Sniper Rifle|