|“||This facility will provide a secure environment to house the alien captives, allowing you to interrogate them in the Labs.||”|
– Engineering description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- After building this facility, aliens stunned in the field with an Arc Thrower will be captured and brought back to XCOM HQ, and thus available for interrogation. Interrogating different species grants research credits which reduce the research time required for associated projects.
- Certain mandatory milestones require interrogating aliens to enable storyline progression.
- If the "The Greater Good" Second Wave option is enabled, interrogating one of the types of psionic aliens is required, as a prerequisite before the player can construct the Psionic Labs.
- The Alien Containment facility is only required until all interrogations have been completed, at which point it can be dismantled to save maintenance costs, or to reallocate the space for a different facility.
- Although its function is related to research purposes, this facility does not confer an adjacency bonus if built next to a research Laboratory.
- There does not seem to be a limit to the number of alien prisoners that can be held at once, despite the appearance that there is only room for one captive.