Air and Space is one of five continent bonuses available in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It is unlocked by either placing XCOM headquarters in North America at the beginning of a new game, or by placing satellites in orbit over all three North American countries during the game.
|“||All aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50% less to purchase, build and maintain.||”|
– In-Game Description, XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Air and Space is moderately useful at any point in the game, providing a slight advantage to the early-game economy, good returns mid-game, and lowering the cost of Firestorm fleets late-game.
- It is least useful at the beginning of the game, as XCOM only has three aircraft (two Ravens and the Skyranger) and has little reason to build additional interceptors until nations on other continents are covered by a satellite.
- This bonus begins to shine later on, as XCOM acquires more aircraft and upgrades their armaments.
- Choosing North America for XCOM headquarters provides the benefit of having a satellite above the highest-funding nation (United States).
- The North American continent bonus is slightly better than the bonus All In that Africa provides for the satellite rush strategy, although this is partially negated by the fact that XCOM might have problems constructing the necessary facilities.
- The bonus apparently alludes to the United States maintaining the largest air force in the world and home to some of the greatest achievements in the aerospace field.